Friday, May 27, 2011

Bench-Warmer

Last one picked, I join the team,
Already huddled, already living the dream
That I keep dreaming from the sidelines,
Running lines, waiting for a chance to take the stage.

I sit, an understudy, jersey and all,
Waiting for Coach to make the call.
But futile, no contest, I can’t compete,
I’m tall and awkward, with two left feet.

I look across the blades of grass,
I move so quick, I run so fast,
I dominate in every way,
and capitalize on every play.
The crowd it cheers, but loudly now,
The play at an end, I take a bow,
And then I wake to the game at hand,
A perfect view from near the stands...

The lights they shine, but not on me,
A win, but no feeling of ecstasy
As I rush the field and fake a smile,
A hypocrite, lost in the pile
Of players.

No comments:

Post a Comment