Tuesday, September 11, 2012

If You Could See What I See


Why can’t you see what I see?

That while an ocean separates us in time,
The same sea crashes against each shore
And its tide carries away our peace of mind,
So that each in the other direction we turn,
Praying that the missing piece we will find,
Searching the sky, the ocean and its floor—
But you still don’t know what you’re searching for.

Why can’t you see what I see?

That the answer is contained in a drop,
And if you would reach out your hand
I would fill your cup to the brim,
And I would wade in the shallow waters
By your side, push even deeper,
And in face of any current,
Life would never seem so grim.

Why can’t you see what I see?

That the tide will eventually roll in
And with it at long last solace,
For, knowing what I seek,
I would in an instant seize it,
While you continue to search
From hell unto the stars,
Though no fire could burn bright enough,
For what you seek will no longer be free.

Why can’t you see what I see?

That the briny air has breathed
Hardship into your bones
And the sand has leeched
Your blood,
Drawing the smile from your face
Imprisoning its laughter,
And leaving you, a shell forlorn,
Extinguishing the life in your eyes,
With only darkness to fill its void
And blind you to what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment