Monday, August 20, 2012

Aversion


Light surrounds me as I step onto the street.
My eyes follow the trail –
Quick but cautious in pursuit –
And scintillating warmth courses
Through me before I meet its source.

My eyes are momentarily fixed,
But they can’t hold fast.
Overpowered, my vision falls victim
As my eyelids succumb –
I find myself blinded and dumb.

I stumble backward and
Trip over my tongue
While the Sun discharges its rays,
Igniting warmth fast into fire;
The flames inside grow higher,

Licking against my soul,
Beating against my battered heart.
I dare not raise my head again
For fear I will soon combust
Under the merciless rockets’ thrust.

I struggle against the explosives
That are burning inside me
And melting my core,
To cool my senses and regain my sight,
But I know the Sun will win this fight –

For even when the Sun will set,
Its light will remain hidden
In the shadows of my heart,
Burning any reason, all reason is lost,
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment