Friday, July 20, 2012

Untitled- on the shooting at the Batman film

I couldn’t see your face,
But I could tell your eyes were empty
As you turned and pointed at me.

You didn’t know me.
I was a good girl.
I had done right by my parents,
Done right by God,
Done right by me.
I was smart,
I could be stupid,
I was strong,
I could be sensitive,
I was passionate,
I could pretend to be indifferent,
But mostly,
I loved.

So why me?

I didn’t have time to ask
As I felt the metal pierce my skin.

I closed my eyes and shed a tear.
One for my mother-
No one would know a greater sorrow.
Another came for my father
Whose rage would turn his world
Upside-down.
Another after that for my sister,
Who would wish it had been her.
And a last one, for you,
Because although my fate was tragic,
Yours would be far worse.

I was a good friend.
I could have been yours.

1 comment:

  1. This one left me speechless. You are talented Desiree. xo

    ReplyDelete