Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Storm


The wind greeted me through the window,
Bringing tidings of the storm to come.
I had prepared myself –
I had taken precautions,
Barred all entry,
Built a wall –
But the wind’s gentle warning
Quickly turned into violent threats.
I fled to a corner,
As far from assault as I could retreat,
But the tumult followed and
Echoed through my mind.
I cried out, defenseless,
As the shrieking of the rain
Pierced my armour,
Every drop a sword, and
Every sword fashioned to the
Humming of the blacksmith
As he hammered his weapon
To perfection.

The shrieking penetrated my ears,
And the reverberations numbed my senses
Until the noise melted into every drop, and
Every drop fell silent.
Then,
As the cloud of silence settled,
And my senses revived,
I heard the mindless humming
Of the blacksmith.

I saw him now, with his eyes shut,
Forging a weapon,
Not knowing what for.
A meticulous design,
To impair was its goal—
But he never considered
Who the victim would be,
And his voice fanned the flames
As the iron ore took shape
To the melody,
Sincere in its deceiving sweetness.

The humming enveloped me
And grew once more into a torrent of noise
That beat me to the ground,
Helpless, though sheltered,
Against the unintended rage
That erupted from a latent summer’s day.

In a moment of weakness,
I had basked in the warmth of
Words dipped in honey,
Spoken from a tongue seeking refuge
From bitter solitude.
It was not long before I knew that day
Would never last,
For even summer’s longest day must surely
Come to an end,
And so I built my wall and convinced myself
I was prepared for battle,
A lie that lay
In the gap between my mind and heart,
And weakened my resolve.
Laboring in denial,
I left a crack in the wall,
Hoping my Pyramus would come to me.

But the deafening sound of reality setting in
Now replaced the soft whispers
That then tickled my ears,
And the wet rain that shattered
Through the nearest window
Made its way to dampen my heart
Once held by his lonely hands.
Every drop drove the point home,
Perforating the edges of my heart
While my mind rode into battle.
My chest gave way
And the sieve bled onto the floor—
My mind retreated,
With nothing left to defend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment